Literacy – School America
Now identified as Literacy – School America (former RIF – Reading is Fundamental), the Prince George’s County Alumnae Chapter (PGCAC) continues its efforts to promote reading and contribute to the eradication of illiteracy.
PGCAC efforts embrace the beliefs first promoted by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.’s 19th National President Dr. Yvonne Kennedy, who brought focus to the need to provide opportunities to promote reading and contribute to higher levels of literacy among all levels of the population.
PGCAC implements developmentally appropriate reading programs in settings ranging from elementary schools to retirement facilities. Currently the program focus includes book distributions made to local elementary schools and includes the establishment of reading circles at local community venues. Complimentary books are provided, motivating children to read, developing approaches to increase family and community involvement in this effort, and increasing the excitement enjoyed by children when selecting books to build their personal “home” libraries.
- Fri, Sep 29PGCAC, NPHC, and the American Red Cross Community Blood Drive
- Fri, Sep 29Financial Fifth Friday with PGCAC and New York Life
- Mon, Oct 09Suicide Prevention: Let's Have a ConversationOct 09, 7:00 PM – 8:00 PMpgcacsuicideprevention.eventbrite.comSuicide Prevention sponsored by the Prince George’s County Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. in collaboration with the PG County Community Crisis Services' Call Center Director Jamieson Brill and the Mental Health Empowerment agency CEO T-Kea Blackman
- Multiple DatesWed, Oct 11Wednesday Wise Webinars: Scholarship Informational Sessions 2023
- Sat, Oct 14American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Virtual Walk
- Thu, Oct 19Home Fire Prevention and Evacuation WebinarOct 19, 7:00 PM – 8:30 PMWebinarPlease join the Prince George's County Alumnae Chapter (PGCAC) DST, Emergency Response Team Committee, and the Prince George's County Fire-EMS Department on Thursday, October 19, 2023, from 7:00 p.m.-8:30 p.m., for an informative webinar on home fire prevention and evacuation plans.